Topic of the Week
Sex / Gender Discrimination
Sex or gender discrimination in employment involves treating someone unfavorably because of the person’s sex, whether they are applying for a job or are a current employee. Although women have made clear they have the ability to perform with the sam
Blog of the Week
Reckoning With the Hidden Rules of Gender in the Tax Code: How Low Taxes on Corporations and the Wealthy Impact Women’s Economic Opportunity and Security
Reckoning With The Hidden Rules of Gender in the Tax Code, tackles some aspects of the tax code that shape corporate and individual behaviors in ways that have negative downstream effects on women and especially women of color.
Thought for the Week
"The masculine structure of the workplace — having men there for as many hours as [bosses] wanted — depends on the olden days, when men had someone at home who was taking care of all their needs. Definitions of fatherhood are changing, and definitions of motherhood are changing more quickly in our social worlds than they are in our work worlds.
–Ann McGinley, co-director of the University of Nevada Las Vegas Workplace Law Program and author of Masculinity At Work: Employment Discrimination Through A Different Lens
List of the Week
from National Woman's Law Center
Equal Pay for Latinas
- The wage gap between Latinas and white, non-Hispanic men is far larger than the wage gap between all women and all men.
- Latinas nationally are typically paid just 54 cents for every dollar paid to white, non-Hispanic men.
- Latinas’ share of high-wage jobs (defined as those in the 40 highest-paying jobs) is staggeringly low, at 3.1 percent
Top Five News Headlines
- New Overtime Rules Start 1 January 2020. Are You Ready?
- LinkedIn Just Revealed 3 Surprising Things Bosses Do to Make Employees Really Happy (According to 32 Million LinkedIn Profiles)
- Gen Z is the most accommodating generation on religion in the workplace: report
- “Knowledge workers” could be the most impacted by future automation
- EEOC, Advocates to Grapple With Gender Pay Gap at Hearing